The Shastri Programme Development Grant (SPDG) is devised in order to encourage scholarly and professional academic activities with a view to contributing to the expansion of knowledge about India or Canada at Indian/Canadian universities that are members of the Shastri Institute.
Among the activities included for grant consideration are conferences, symposia, workshops, lecture series. Applications are especially encouraged for innovative ideas and activities encompassing different pedagogy involving youth of India and Canada that is likely to promote or expand knowledge about India or Canada. Applications are also invited for the part grant involving other funding agencies. A joint application from institutions of Indian Member Council or Canadian Member Council or even collaborated proposals involving one Indian and one Canadian member institution is also encouraged.
Applications for grants covering the financial year April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018 MUST BE RECEIVED BY 31stDecember, 2017 . Applications will be considered in accordance with the procedures, guidelines and conditions described below.
Applications under this grant programme may be made by universities interested in the development or expansion of programmes on India or Canada. Applications for long-term programme development proposals spanning more than one year are also encouraged, although they must be resubmitted annually for funding for each subsequent year. However, there is no guarantee to sustain all funding as the programme is competitive.
II. Terms and Conditions
The Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute will provide funds to help meet expenses for the period of time for which a grant is sought (not exceeding the date mentioned in the announcement) in accordance with the following conditions:
a) Grants are provided only to help defray direct costs related to professional activities initiated by the institution. These costs include the domestic/international travel of visiting scholars, materials, printing, office-related charges, computer time and possible printing/publishing fees and food etc during the activity. No provision is made for released time stipends for overhead costs to the Institution including capital expenditures. Contractual or commissioned activities do not qualify for support.
b) Payment will be made in a lump sum after receiving of requisite documents.
III. Application Requirements
The Programme Director must complete the enclosed application form and send it to the Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute in New Delhi (SICI) with a covering letter.
a. A concise proposal which will describe the event/programme/project/activity by:
i) identifying the main activities (India /Canada centric) to be undertaken by the institution under the proposed plan;
ii) indicating clearly both the nature and the scope of the program’s expected contribution to the advancement of knowledge on India /Canada at the institution; and
iii) presenting a complete schedule of activities including names of all participants, wherever possible;
iv) Noting topics and sub-topics wherever possible depending on the kind of activity proposed.
b. A detailed budget including funding from other sources, particularly from the institution itself and from the other sources, if applicable, and itemizing all activities to be undertaken together with activity-specific cost estimates.
c. The curricula vitae of Programme Director who will play a major role in the Programme at the university/institution including details, if any, of Indian/Canadian courses taught or any other activity undertaken in the current and immediately preceding year, with teaching and research Programs highlighted. The background of the resource persons should be consistent with the topic/name of the programme.
d. Involvement of students & research scholars in the proposed SPDG activity should be highlighted.
e. A letter from the appropriate university authority indicating institutional agreement to the proposed programme.
• Applicants are encouraged to diversify their topics, and take up new contemporary themes. A multi-disciplinary or inter-disciplinary approach is encouraged.
• The proposed activity must be organized by March 31, 2018 and sufficient notice must be given prior to the event to enable maximum participation from scholars and students as well as from the Shastri Institute. (*Please note if awarded, Shastri Institute may request you to alter your date of event (only for the academic activity like conference/seminar/workshop etc.) if there is any date clash with the institute’s activity).
• Activities other than academic events including engaging youth into development, or other initiatives to enhance interest in India/Canada like exploring India/Canada courses, know India/Canada orientation programmes, subject specific exchange of young scholars led by a faculty are also encouraged.
• The Universities and institutions are encouraged to consult SICI, to establish a calendar of events so as to avoid overlapping activities and ensuring the spread of activities throughout the year.
IV. Evaluation of Application
The following procedure will be followed upon receipt of an application:
a. All applications will be reviewed shortly after the application deadline by the Executive Council of the institute.
b. At the discretion of the Executive Council, an applicant may be asked to submit further clarification and/or documentation.
c. Applicants will be informed of the decision of the Institute.
Specify all sources of revenue applicable, including the SPDG and your institution itself. Also provide a detailed specification of expenditure items.
Value : INR 2.5 Lakh
Number of awards : 5 (Five)
Completed application must be submitted no later than 31st December, 2017.
Application Submission: Submit completed electronic application to www.shastriinstitute.org/gms
For more information, please contact:
Programme Officer (SPDG)
Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute (SICI)
5 Bhai Vir Singh Marg
New Delhi 110001
Call us at: 011 – 2374 6417; 2374 3114; & 2374 2677
1. All the Grants/Fellowships will be subject to receipt of funds from MHRD, Govt. of India.
2. Shastri Institute reserves the right to change Fellowship amount and number of awards.
3. Project grant will be transferred in the bank account of the Institution/university of the applicant.