The Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute is pleased to announce a Call for Applications for Shastri Scholar Travel Subsidy Grants (SSTSG) 2018-19 from SICI’s Canadian and Indian Member Institutions in good standing. SSTSG assists faculty members, doctoral or post-doctoral students, with travel subsidies to participate in conferences, workshops, seminars and academic meetings in partner countries (India or Canada) that are intended to establish institutional and scholarly linkage. Please note that for purposes of all SICI granting programs, ‘research /training /activity ‘shall be deemed to include creative activity conducted within the structures and programs of a member institution.
Key objectives of SSTSG are:
- Facilitate enhancing personal and professional growth of participating scholars and institutions;
- Facilitate promoting academic linkages between India and Canada.
Please note the following points:
- Institutions may receive only one SSTSG award, and receipt of the award is subject to the institution being a SICI member in good standing with fully paid-up membership for the current year (2018-19);
- An individual who was awarded a SSTSG may not receive another Travel Subsidy Grant until at least one (1) year has passed. For example, an individual received a SSTSG in 2017-18 will be eligible to apply for a second SSTSG in 2019-20;
- Selected SSTSG awardees will have 2 weeks to confirm their acceptance of the grant (subject to their institution’s eligibility);
- Any declined SSTSG or availability of surplus funds may result in award of grants among any of the wait-listed applications, subject to application of other rules of SICI which allows benefits to be more broadly distributed among its members;
- SSTSG funds will be released to the recipients’ institutions upon receipt of the scholar’s final report.
- CAD$1,000 (to support the scholar’s international economy class airfare);
- Associated costs related to visas, meals, per diem and accommodation are not eligible under this grant.
Number of Awards: 12 (twelve)
SSTSG Timeframe : November 2018 – December 2019
- The SSTSG applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of India and or Canada;
- The SSTSG applicant must be a fulltime faculty member/researcher/student (doctoral and post-doctoral) of SICI’s Canadian or Indian Members Council Institution (in good standing in 2018-19). Please visit: https://www.shastriinstitute.org/member-council for a complete list of SICI’s Canadian and Indian Members Council Institutions;
- The SSTSG to be used for Canadian scholar’s traveling to India or Indian scholar’s traveling to Canada;
- For SSTSG visits, whether for an academic meeting or other reasons (i.e., participating in conferences, workshops, seminars), the applicants must have been invited by SICI’s Member Council Institutions;
- For SSTSG visits related to the participation in conferences/workshops/seminars, the applicant’s paper must have been accepted for presentation by the organizing committee of the conference or the host institution, which must be a SICI’s Member Council Institution.
A four-member bi-national adjudicating committee will review SSTSG applications and select the successful awardees based upon the following marking system:
1. Institution/Event (4 points)
• Does the proposed meeting/event carry a significant weight in terms of scholarly inputs/outputs, rankings (based on the type of meeting/event, intended contributions/ accomplishments, scholarly presence, attending participants, etc.)?
2. Contribution to faculty/student development and potential institutional linkages (4 points)
• How far the proposed event has likelihood to contribute to applicant’s own development (scholarly and other)?
• How far the proposed event has likelihood to contribute to any potential institutional linkages between the applicant’s host and visiting institutions?
3. Professional Background (2 points)
• Does the applicant have necessary academic and or research background related to the topic of the event that he/she is proposing to attend?
4. Contribution to promoting/building academic linkages between India-Canada (4 points)
• How the proposed event will contribute to promoting/building academic linkages between India-Canada?
- A completed SSTSG 2018-19 Application Form – late and incomplete applications will not be considered;
- A summary description (one pager) describing the presentation/discussion/meeting topic containing: title, abstract or purpose, co-authors or counter parts, scholarly presence, etc.;
- Curriculum Vitae of the applicant, not more than 3 pages. All additional pages after 3rd page will be removed and/or ignored during evaluation;
- Curriculum Vitae (not more than 3 pages) of the counterpart/inviter of the host institution (for academic visit);
- Letter of invitation from the host institution;
- Proof of acceptance of the Paper/Presentation from the organizer/host institution (for conference, seminar, workshop, etc.;
- Copy of Passport/PR Card (applicant).
Application Deadline: 15 January 2019 (11:00pm MST)
Note: Completed application forms along with all required documents at GMS portal https://www.sicigms.org/login
on or before 15 January 2019 by 1100pm (MST).
Application Forms: Apply online at GMS portal https://www.sicigms.org/login
Reporting: Upload your final reports (format attached) in prescribed format at https://www.sicigms.org/login
Report Format : SSTSG_Final_Report_Form-_2018-19.doc
For more information or queries, please email to:
Program and Member Relations Officer